Tennis is an exciting sport, and it is a sport that also benefits you physically. Before start tennis, we should know about tennis rules. Without proper rules, you can not take part in the game of tennis. In this article, we discussed the rules of tennis which is help you to play a proper tennis match.
In tennis sport there not a much format like other sports. Tennis can be played,
Singles Match: One Player Vs One Player
Doubles Match: Two-Player VS Two Player
Mixed Doubles: One Man and One Women Vs One Man and One Women.
Racquet: Tennis racquet is most necessary in-game of tennis. So, you have to know about the basic rules of a tennis racquet. Tennis racquets frame should not overcome 32 inches in length. Racquet handle width is should not langer than 12.5 inches.
The surface should be no more than 15.5 inches in length and 11.5 inches in width. If you interested to know the best tennis racquet in 2021 the read our article.
Tennis Ball: There are also basic rules of a tennis ball. The tennis ball should be white or yellow color in the tournament. In measurements, the ball should be 2.5 inches and 2.63 inches in diameter and the ball weight is at least 56g but make sure less than 60 g.
Tennis Court Rules
Before going to the tennis court you should know the tennis court rules. You should play a tennis court which size is 78 ft long and 36 ft wide. But when you play a single tennis match then you need to play under the single sideline and when you play doubles matches then you have to play full of court. If you want to know about tennis court lines then read our blog article on how to play tennis.
Tennis Scoring Rules
In tennis, there is a very simple scoring system. Almost every sports point system starts with 0, but tennis points start with love. Because in the game of tennis zero is known as love. When you won the first point in tennis it’s called 15.
When you won the second point it’s called 30 and won the third point which means your score is 40. After that when you won the fourth point then you will win a game, so you need to win four points to win a game. But if the score is 40 -40 that means it deuce, when the score is deuce you need to win two consecutive points to win this game.
To win a game, you need to win 4 points and be at least 2 points ahead. To win a set, you have to win 6 games and be at least 2 games ahead of your opponent.
Scoring System In Tennis
- 0 Point = Love
- 1 Point = 15
- 2 Point = 30
- 3 Point = 40
- 30 – 30 Tied Score = All
- 40 – 40 = Deuce ( When the score is deuce you need two consecutive points to win this game)
- Server win deuce point = Ad In
- Receiver win deuce point = Ad Out
Basic Rules Of A Tennis Match
- The tennis matches start with a coin toss to determine who can serve first and which side of the court he want to play. If you won in the coin toss then according to tennis rules you will serve first.
- The server should start the game on the right side of the court.
- A server should stand behind the baseline till making contact with the ball and the server has two chances to serve into the service box.
- If the server misses the service box in the first serve it is known as fault then he will get second chances and if he missed the service box again then it will be known as the double fault and the opponent win a point. When the server hits the ball in the service box, then the point is started.
- If the legal serve hits the net before landing the opponent area this is known as let and the player is allowed to serve again without fault. But if the ball fails to go opponent area then the server will lose the point.
- The server serves the ball and the opponent failed to return the ball this is known as an ace. The server wins a point.
- A player needs to score 4 points to win a match. When both players score is 40-40, this is known as deuce. During deuce, if you score 1 point it’s known as an advantage, then you will need only a point to win the game unless your opponent scores. In summary when the score is deuce you need to win two consecutive points to win the match.
- In tennis, a player needs to win 6 games to win a set and be at least 2 games ahead. To win a game, you have to win 4 points and be at least 2 points ahead.
- If your game is tied at 6-6 so that a tie-breaker is used to determine who wins the set. You have to take it turns to serve and you need to score 7 points and be at least 2 points ahead to win the set.
When You Win Tennis-Point
- If your opponents hit the ball into the net then you will win a point.
- When Your opponent player hits the ball outside of baseline and sideline.
- When you hit the ball on your opponent’s side and the ball bounces two times before your opponent hits the ball.
- If your opponent player hits the ball twice with the racket then you will win a point.
- Your opponent player failed to return your shot.
If you make fault these things then according to tennis rules your opponent will win points.
When You Lose Tennis-Point
- If you make two consecutive faults in serve.
- If you fail to return the ball before it bounces twice consecutively.
- You hit the served ball before any bouncing then you will lose the point.
- The ball touch two times by the racquet then you will lose a point.
- If the ball touches anything you wearing and carrying without your racquet then you lose the point.
- If you knowingly and materially change the shape of your racket when the match is running.
- In double players match, when both players touch the ball.